Saturday, October 21, 2023

Golden Pot - Yavuz Demirhan by Pelikan



I’ve had my eye on this cool packing puzzle by Yavuz ever since Pelikan had offered it up at their shop.  It’s not a difficult puzzle but the beautiful craftsmanship is quite mesmerizing!  This puzzle is definitely the coolest display of woodworking I’ve ever seen by Pelikan or anyone else for that matter.


Oddly enough it’s still available for purchase directly from Pelikan or Puzzlemaster.


Kevin Sadler wrote about it:


“When Yavuz designs something, I always pay attention. He is an amazing designer as well as a superb craftsman. The belief that there is a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow is a wonderful piece of old Irish folklore and it is quite surprising that a Turkish man living in Germany can get a pair of Czech craftsmen to make it but even without a hint of Ireland in the manufacture, this is a simply wonderful puzzle. It is made with an American Walnut pot, a Merbau, Purpleheart, Garapa and Maple rainbow and Grape pieces. Yavuz has used a subset of the Soma cube pieces (including 3 that are doubled up). The aim is to pack all of them into the pot so that the gold forms a level surface with the rainbow buried in it. This is made really challenging by the fact that there is only a 1 voxel clearance around and underneath the rainbow’s end making the insertion of several pieces quite challenging. I still struggle to assemble a soma cube and anything like this with a restricted entry is a huge challenge for me. Random trial and error didn’t work for the first couple of days and eventually I had to think©. It is actually the restricted entry that is the most important part. It made me stop and work out how I could get the awkward pieces inside – there is only one assembly but there are 2 ways the pieces can be put inside. A really difficult puzzle for me and will be beautiful on display in the puzzle room.”



No comments:

Post a Comment