Tuesday, December 12, 2023

L Cube (KW-47-2) by Hideaki Kawashima at KCG



Hideaki frequently posts pics/descriptions of his puzzle box building techniques and I would frequently see them pop up on facebook, so I was thankful of a fellow puzzler that I was able to pick up a copy and finally see one of his wonderful pieces up close.

What really caught my eye was his use of Slipfeathers that I typically use in my boxes, of course my building skills have diminished considerably since I started in woodworking some 50+ years ago in my Dad’s workshop.

I previously had puzzle boxes from The Karakuri Creation Group but this is my first from Hideaki.  


I strongly recommend a membership at KCG, it’s definitely worth it as no one builds puzzle boxes quite like them!


It’s beautifully crafted from Walnut, Wadge, Oak, Magnolia, Cherry.


Here’s a brief description from Hideaki:


“This work is the remade version of L CUBE (KW-47).

The design of the frame and the wood were changed from KW-47.

The mechanism procedure was improved but the puzzle is the same.


The surface of the work is carved with a pattern inspired by Celtic knots.

The Celtic culture did not have a written language, and the meaning of the Celtic knots are unknown because it was passed down orally.

Now, what do the shapes engraved on this work represent? We invite you to solve it.”






No comments:

Post a Comment