Monday, April 26, 2021

Corner Cube - Andrew Crowell by Wood Wonder

This puzzle still has me stumped!  Edit:  Finally solved this very difficult puzzle after wrestling with it for over three days!

Andrew Crowell has these available at his Etsy Shop and well worth a look!  



Kevin blogged about it:


I could not resist the Corner cube - apparently Andrew Crowell (the master of the Turning Interlocking Cube) has branched out and moved into packing puzzles (this is apparently part of a series called the ARCparent series - how come I haven't heard of these before). My copy is absolutely gorgeous made with a Tigerwood box (look at those stripes) and Curly Maple pieces. The aim, as usual is to place the pieces in the 3x3x2 cavity of the box through the small opening in the top corner and again, the opening must be covered at the end. 


Silly me left this to yesterday evening to attempt (did I tell you that things are very busy in healthcare at the moment and I had not had much time recently?) I looked at the shapes of the pieces and thought that this would not be a particularly difficult challenge. After all, 2 of the pieces are just 1x1x2 blocks! Oh boy! How wrong could I be? I had become a bit blasé about these having solved so many of Osanori's similar puzzles. Last night I actually had a PROPER look at it and, to my horror, realised that there was something rather special here...the entry hole was not a unit size - it is 1½ units in all dimensions which seriously limits the ability to insert pieces or have one sticking part way out whilst you add another. OMG!




Zen Puzzler also has a nice review of this type of puzzle.



Here's what Brian said:  Please visit Wood Wonders to stay informed of his wonderful puzzle offerings!


"Andrew has briefly turned his attention to packing puzzles and boy was it a windfall for all puzzle enthusiasts. This is the Corner Cube from his ARCparent Series. I love packing puzzles and I hope all of these designs will eventually appear on my site at some time. Simple pieces that have to be packed into the simple box and boy this is a challenge. Because you also must fill the opening with those pieces. I struggled with getting the pieces in and out!"


Angelim Pedra Box with Padauk corners and pieces

















No comments:

Post a Comment