Saturday, January 29, 2022

Crooked Notches - Stewart Coffin Design #97 by Mark McCallum



There is only one craftsman that does such a fabulous job of Stewart Coffin’s designs and of course it’s Mark!

If you haven’t had the privilege of owning one of his flawless puzzles, you are missing out!

I was fortunate to acquire this copy at auction so obviously very pleased to add it to my personal collection.

Crafted in Claro Walnut in 2008 (15 sale copies at CubicDissection)


Stewart wrote:


“This is a variation of the familiar six-

piece diagonal burr, but here compressed along a three-fold axis, 

making the sticks rectangular cross-section rather than square, and 

the notches crooked. I made 100 of these of southern yellow pine for 

the 1994 IPP puzzle exchange. It looks simple enough. Two identical V-shaped notches in each piece. Two kinds of pieces, three of each. It is assembled by mating two subassemblies that are mirror images.  But recently, when I attempted to make one to round out my 

collection, I found it too taxing to easily achieve the required accuracy in the saw cuts for the notches in my makeshift workshop and gave up.”







No comments:

Post a Comment