Thursday, November 3, 2022

Patio Block - Stewart Coffin Design #82


I’m sure many are familiar with Stewart Coffin’s ‘Patio Block’ design, but I recently spotted Erhan’s design which uses a different set of pieces.  I happened to have a variety of wood species of BAZ blocks on hand so thought I might make myself a copy.  I hadn’t really thought of using individual cubes to make this type of puzzle and it really turned out nicely!


Here’s a description of ‘Half Cubes’ by Erhan Çubukcuoglu:


“These puzzle pieces are made by joining half cubes. I guess original idea belongs to Toshiaki Betsumiya he designed the Gemini puzzle.

The Gemini puzzle aimed to make a 4x4x5 block from a mathematical set made by joining half cubes. 

After Stewart Coffin designed “Split cube” He designed a 4x4x4 cube by using some pieces from this mathematical set.  And lastly I designed my own puzzle “Half cubes” by using some other pieces of this mathematical set. This puzzle has four solutions.”


Box is Tigerwood with Wenge Slipfeathers 


Pieces are a random mix of:

Black Palm

Padauk

Zebrawood

Lacewood 

Jatoba

Bubinga

Bocote

Ash

Walnut

Tulipwood

Mahogany 

Leopardwood 











I also had a ‘Split Cube’ made by Brian Young of Mr Puzzle that was used as an IPP 2002 Exchange puzzle by Raymond Mead at Antwerpen.  This particular copy uses a different set of pieces than Stewart’s original ‘Patio Block’.







No comments:

Post a Comment