Saturday, November 5, 2022

The Trinity Puzzle - Edo’s Twisting Cube - Eduard Alexander Timmermans (2003) by Josef Pelikan

 

I recently acquired this puzzle and was quite surprised to find out that it’s a very early TIC design by Edo.  My initial internet searches came up blank but after contacting Edo directly, he gave me a wealth of knowledge on his early Mathematical/puzzling exploits.


Here’s the details of this puzzle discovery as well as links to his YouTube and other sources that would be of interest to any TIC fan:




“I think it's this one, that I published in CFF 60, March 2003. I made this one myself.

Page 11, The Trinity Puzzle (3).




This copy was made by Edo.


I found a 3:4:5::6 dissection of which the 5-cube does not separate, it led to finding this complex 4-cube.

After removing 2 pieces, mathematically one piece moves to the left (or whatever direction) while another piece starts rotating simultaneously.

I discovered various other dissections as well that contain very unusual rotations, I published those in CFF as well.


A few links on my work on dissections (including two with rotations) are shown here.


Here is one of the articles in a Dutch magazine for young people interested in mathematics on my work,

it begins on page 12. 


This is my YouTube chanel, with a lot of geometrical magnet constructions, some videos are about my cubes as well.”




This copy was made by Josef Pelikan.

No comments:

Post a Comment